Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Its the big day!

Following up on my previous post, 

So I was having contractions all morning but hadn't realized they were contractions until around 12:30. I was out with Calli all morning and we were at the mall when I realized that the cramps were actually consistent contractions and I needed to head home. I called Randee on my way home and at that point my contractions were 7-8 minutes apart and told him I was having contractions and he should meet me at the house. I could hear in his voice the nervousness and told him not to stress out. Once Calli and I got home I made her some lunch and jumped in the shower. When I got out of the shower my contractions were about 5 minutes apart so I finished packing my hospital bag and things that I would need. Randee came in and was in a panic lol. He started grabbing everything and loading up the car and getting Calli ready to drop her off with family. Even though this was his second go round he was just as nervous as the first!

By the time we left the house my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart. They hurt and I couldn't talk through them but definitely not unbearable. We dropped Calli off with my sister and headed to the hospital. On the drive to the hospital I swear I probably have 30 contractions lol. At that point they were about 3 minutes apart and a little stronger but still not unbearable.

We got to the hospital at around 2:30 and they checked me and my contractions were every 3 minutes and I was 5cm dilated, 85% effaced. I got all checked in and moved over to a labor and delivery room at around 2:45. Once we were in the labor and delivery room and made it known that I wanted the epidural and the nurse said that the anesthesiologist would be in shortly for the epidural. I got all of my iv's in and filled out a bunch of papers as I waited for the epidural. The contractions were still about 2-3 minutes apart but seemed to be getting stronger. They weren't unbearable but I definitely needed to focus on my breathing to get through them.

I got the epidural around 3:50 and I asked how long it would take before it kicked in. The nurse said that it should work within 15-20 minutes but that I should feel the contractions less intense each time. About 10 minutes went by and the contractions were getting worse and not better so the nurse left the room to get the anesthesiologist to adjust my epidural. It seemed like as soon as she left the room my next contraction was 1,000 times worse and a couple minutes after that my water broke. At that point the contractions were unbearable and I began to cry. The anesthesiologist came in the room and upped the dose and said that I should feel relief soon but the pain was only getting worse. The nurse said that if I felt any pressure that I should go ahead and push. I told that nurse that I didn't want to push because I wanted the epidural to work. She said that if I have the urge to push that I needed to push and it would  actually feel better. I cried and said that I didn't want to push but with each contraction about 1 minute apart I could feel pressure and that I was pushing without even trying. I told the nurse that I was pushing and she said not to and called the doctor in. The pain was ridiculous but at that point it all went so fast. The doctor rushed and said that with the next contraction I could start to push. 4 pushes later Fallon was born. May 22, 2013 at 4:22pm. The epidural never worked but as soon as she was born I totally forgot about the pain. 
I had my beautiful completely healthy baby girl in my arms. 

starting to push
pushing

his face pretty much the whole time lol

after only 4 pushes

shes beautiful

love at first sight




6lbs 12oz 20in










No comments:

Post a Comment